SBML Core Developers
This page lists individuals and groups who have (or have had) specific roles, but this short list is not meant to diminish the contributions of the broader community of people and companies developing software systems that use SBML. People's involvements also change over time, and we try to keep this page updated to stay current with the SBML community.
SBML Editors, Coordinator, and Secretary
The SBML Editors are devoted experts who develop SBML specifications, correct errata, assess proposals, and manage revisions to SBML. The five Editors are elected by the SBML community and serve for 3-year terms as volunteers. One of the Editors is nominated by the other Editors to be Coordinator and lead activities such as organizing and chairing Editor meetings, monitoring progress on new SBML developments, and other such work. The SBML Permanent Secretary is not an elected or volunteer position; instead, it is someone from the SBML Team paid to work on SBML activities such as managing community votes, writing documents, etc.
Past SBML Editors have been Dagmar Waltemath (2014–2016), Brett G. Olivier (2014–2016), Frank Bergmann (2009–2011, 2013–2015), Sven Sahle (2008–2010, 2013–2015), Sarah M. Keating (2007–2009, 2011–2013), Chris J. Myers (2011–2013), James C.Schaff (2010–2012), Lucian Smith (2010–2012), Darren Wilkinson (2008–2010), Stefan Hoops (2007–2009), Nicolas Le Novère (2006–2008, 2012–2014), Michael Hucka (2000–2015), Andrew M. Finney (2000–2006), Herbert M. Sauro (2000–2006), and Hamid Bolouri (2000–2006). The SBML effort and community benefited tremendously from their involvement and hard work.
SBML Scientific Advisory Board
The SBML Scientific Advisory Board is composed of scientists and researchers with expertise in topics covered by SBML. The SAB provides guidance to the SBML Editors and the SBML Forum regarding the goals, features, applications, and other aspects of SBML development and use. The current members of the SAB are:
- Prof. Gary Bader, Donnelly Centre for Cellular + Biomolecular Research, University of Toronto, Canada.
- Directeur de Recherche Dirk Drasdo, Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique (INRIA), France, and associated with Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Bioinformatik (IZBI) and Institute for Working Environment (IfADo), Germany.
- (Chair) Dr. Michael Hucka, California Institute of Technology, USA.
- Prof. Jonathan Karr, Institute for Multiscale Biology & Genomics, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, USA.
- Prof. Douglas Kell, Research Chair in Bioanalytical Sciences, School of Chemistry and Manchester Institute of Biotechnology, University of Manchester, UK.
- Prof. Dr. Dr. Edda Klipp, Full Professor for Theoretical Biophysics, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (HUB), Germany.
- Prof. Dr. Ursula Kummer, Center for Organismal Studies Heidelberg/Bioquant, Heidelberg University, Germany.
- Prof. Dr. Bas Teusink, Amsterdam Institute for Molecules, Medicines and Systems, VU University Amsterdam, Netherlands.
The SBML Team strives to support the SBML community and the development and maintenance of specific SBML infrastructure and facilities. In particular, the team is responsible for (1) maintaining this website, the SBML mailing lists, electronic surveys, and other resources; (2) arranging for the development and support of critical software, including libSBML, the SBML Validator, and the SBML Test Suite; and (3) organizing SBML events, including the SBML Forum Meetings and SBML Hackathons.
Many people other have been members of the SBML Team in past years. In fact, there have been so many that we have devoted a whole separate page to them!