SBML Level 2 Version 4 specification released
22 Dec '08 21:59
Dear SBML-using community,
The SBML Editors are pleased to announce the release of the
SBML Level 2 Version 4 specification, now available from
http://sbml.org/Documents/Specifications as well as the SBML
project on SourceForge.net.
This new version incorporates changes requested by the SBML
community via past votes and SBML Forum meetings, as well as
numerous smaller corrections for inconsistencies. The
following is a short summary of the major changes; more
explanations of the changes are provided in Appendix G of
the document, and the textual changes (relative to L2 V3
Release 2) are marked in red throughout the document. The
details of all major issues are also logged as tracker items
in the SBML issue tracker (http://sbml.org/issue-tracker)
under the category "Level 2 Version 3".
- Unit consistency is not *required* for a valid SBML model,
following the decision made via a vote taken in late 2007.
- Removal of prohibition on forward references in
user-defined function definitions.
- Removal of prohibition on forward references in the
Compartment 'outside' attribute.
- Corrections to small syntax error in the RDF defined for
- New flag "useValuesFromTriggerTime" on Event allows a
model to indicate when EventAssignment formulas are meant
to be evaluated.
- Clarification about the relationship of compartment sizes
when one compartment is outside of another.
- Addition of new MIRIAM qualifiers.
- Updates for SBO and values allowed for sboTerm.
- Removal of irrelevant or no longer applicable validation
rules, and addition of new rules for the changes above.
- "Built-in SBML units" are now called "predefined SBML
units", to be (hopefully) more clear.
- Other minor corrections and edits.
Please report issues with the SBML Level 2 Version 4
specification using the issue-tracker.
We would like to thank all of the many members of the SBML
community for their current support and use of SBML.
Nicolas Le Novere
To manage your sbml-announce list subscription, visit
For a web interface to the sbml-announce mailing list, visit
For questions or feedback about the sbml-announce list,
Powered by FUDforum. (Copyright Advanced Internet Designs Inc.)